Monday, March 24, 2008

The 56th Cherry Blossom Festival Ball (aka, Cherry Blossom Festival Ball Round 2)

So...my last really eventful post (before this past one), was about the Cherry Blossom Festival....and strangely enough, a full year has gone by and we're here again- The Cherry Blossom Festival Ball.

To my surprise, if you type "Cherry Blossom Festival Ball Hawaii" into your Google search window, my blog post from last year comes up 2nd!!! One of the contestants from this year actually mentioned to me that she read my blog post from last year to get an idea of how formal the event is so her boyfriend could dress appropriately. Incidentally, she also also read about my mismatching shoe debacle from last year. =P

But that was not to occur this year!! I checked, double-checked, and triple-checked those shoe bags to ensure that I had the proper shoes with me, and I even came extra prepared with a change of watches, hair gel, toothbrush, and cologne. I was completely ready for the event this time. But before I begin my explanation of the event itself, a little backstory is needed. Gather 'round my children, papa has a story for you.

When I arrived in Hawaii in January one year ago, I was not only greeted by the humid Hawaiian weather, but also a whole group of beautiful young ladies. Okay, okay, so it's not exactly as picture perfect as you are probably imagining, but its not too far from the truth either. On my first evening in Hawaii, I was picked up from the airport and taken straight to taiko practice, where the 55th Cherry Blossom Queen Contestants were receiving an introduction to taiko.

So, one year later, its already come back to that time of year. Starting in January, the new group of 15 Cherry Blossom Queen Contestants began their 10 workshops of taiko training for the opening number of the festival ball. Its really "natsukashii" (Japanese word meaning something close to "nostalgic") to be going through this experience again and to be teaching Sakura Mikoshi (which I admittedly had forgotten despite having helped write it).

The girls began their taiko journey in mid January through a series of weekly Wednesday workshops (10 total) to (in very crash-course fashion) learn some history about taiko, the basics of playing, and learn the piece which they would perform in front of their friends, family, and an audience numbering in the hundreds as the opening number for the Cherry Blossom Festival Ball. The girls were all very dedicated, and great to teach because they were so eager to learn and to improve, even if they would never play taiko again after the end of the workshops. Even though our lessons technically were supposed to go from 8:00pm to 9:15pm or so, we would frequently stay until around 9:45, not because we forced the girls to, but because they wanted to run the piece one more time, or wanted one more chance to get a part right.

The workshops flew by quickly, and before we knew it, it was the end of March and we were rehearsing in the ballroom where the festival ball would be taking place. The festival ball took place at the Sheraton Waikiki, the flagship hotel of the several Sheratons throughout Waikiki, and one of the largest hotels in Waikiki. The ballroom was among the largest in the hotel, with high ceilings, and chandeliers with red accent lighting. The stage was very prominent at the back of the room (and also very wide), and draped with black curtains. It was simple, and even more minimalist than the previous year, but very elegant for the most elegant and grand of Cherry Blossom Festival events.

Now, before I continue any further, I'm sure you're thinking to yourself, "yes, this story is nice, but where are the pictures of the girls?!" Unfortunately my friends, I didn't bring my camera (which has now been replaced with an older version of the model I formally owned) to any of the events or practices, but you can see the contestants on the Cherry Blossom website here

As you can imagine, the girls looked stunning for the evening of the ball. Each of the girls was decked out with professionally done hair and make-up, and had a lineup of western formal evening gowns and Japanese Kimono to wear for the evening. However, despite looking so beautiful, the girls were nervous (and rightfully so given the lineup of things they had ahead of them for the evening). So, before we got on stage for Sakura Mikoshi, I held a short focus session as I had done one year prior to calm the girls and get them mentally prepared for the big evening ahead of them.

After a wait (which seemed like forever) we finally got on stage, the lights went up, the announcer began his introductory speech, and we began the piece. Despite having only had 10 practices to learn and perform the piece, despite their nervousness, despite all of the things that were running through their minds, despite the crazy club-esque lighting going on, and even despite a couple dropped sticks (which were recovered very well), the girls performed beautifully. Everything came together with so much energy and enthusiasm that I can really only say as their teacher that I was proud of them for what they accomplished in such a short time.

It was great getting to know the girls over the course of the 10 weeks, and really see them for than just a pretty face, but as deep people with great ambitions and cute, unique personalities. Its unfortunate that only a select number of them can make it to the court (because I'm rooting for all of them), but for their effort and growth, and I think they all won.

Its been great getting to go through this process a second time, and it'll definitely be something that I'll remember for some time to come (...and not just because I was working with pretty girls...although that does help jog the memory). Congratulations to the new Cherry Blossom Court! ..and for my readers...sorry for the lack of pictures. =P

No comments: