Saturday, April 18, 2009

Birthday Love Again....

A quarter of a century old.... Sounds pretty old doesn't it? I can't say that I was looking forward to becoming 25. Unlike turning 18 or 21, there are few benefits that come with that age. I believe that you are allowed to receive some kind of discount when renting a vehicle, but other than that, it's really another year toward being "old". In Korea, there's actually saying that says you're "over the hill" when you become 25. So...as you can see, I wasn't exactly looking forward to becoming 25.

But...today I was reminded of why turning a year older is so great.

It's not because of the presents, the free booze, or the 25 punches that come with it. It's because of friends. Friends who remind you that your life is worth while to them. Friends who remind you that turning a year older is a time to celebrate your life and who you are. Friends who remind you that there are people who care about you, and cherish your friendship. I was reminded of all of these things today.

I started my day just like any other typical weekend. I woke up at 7:00am and went to work. I work as an English teacher for Berlitz, a language school that is quite well-known in Japan. I work an odd schedule- Friday through Tuesday- with Wednesday and Thursday off to accommodate my taiko practices.

Work was, as one might imagine, quite tiring. Teaching English for 8 hours straight is no easy feat, even if one considers that English is their native language. Talking in your native tongue is one thing, but talking in your native tongue and ensuring that people are understanding and learning something is another. Work ended at about 4:45, and in short, I was relieved- freedom at last.

A party was planned for me in the evening in Ikebukuro, one of many popular restaurant and hangout spots in Tokyo during the weekends. I met what I thought would be a small group of friends for dinner that evening. To my surprise, I was lead to a room full of friends in Japan- friends from all different years of the ALC program. I was shocked. I was surprised. I was altogether delighted. Seeing so many faces wishing me a happy birthday was an unbelievable feeling. Even though I've been a performer with thousands of eyes on me, having a room full of friends all looking toward you is a completely different feeling. The knowledge that you know each person and that each person came for you is really an unparalleled feeling. I was happy.

The evening was filled with a lot of laughter, a lot of drinks, and a lot of great food. There were many thank-you's made all around, even gifts received in the form of gum, candy, and personal notes written on a cork board. I couldn't have asked for anything else.

I'm blessed to have so many friends, and to have so many people that (for lack of better words) just give a damn. I don't ask any of my friends to give a damn for me, but knowing that they do just makes me realize how lucky I am.

To everyone who has sent me an email, an e-greeting, an MSN message, the ever-popular facebook wall post, dialed my phone number, or even just passively thought about me (regardless of my birthday), I owe you thanks.

I know it's not enough, but I hope you can understand how much truly mean it when I say thank you. So, Thank You.

1 comment:

Darwin said...

yay for adam blogging!