Sunday, March 4, 2007

My First Visitor

So, I had my very first visitor about a week ago!! And...she's not from the US...but from Japan!!! Yes folks, my first visitor was someone from a different country entirely! So in the spirit of the program I worked on this summer (American Language and Culture...or ALC for short) and met her in, I decided to dub her visit part of the HLC (Hawaiian Language and Culture) program. =P


Me and Chika at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani (where she was staying)



As I mentioned above, I met my friend (her name is Chika) in the ALC program mentioned above. The ALC program is a culture and language exchange program that takes place on Stanford campus as part of the VIA (Volunteers in Asia) organization . Over 70 students from Taiwan and Japan are invited to participate in each ALC session (there are 2 sessions) for the month of August, where they live in the Stanford dorms, take English classes on Stanford campus, and go on field trips and participate in other events planned by the 8 Stanford hosts. I could go on and on about how awesome this program is, but that's an aside that isn't completely related to my topic- my visitor.

I gave the above aside to give you an idea of what I wanted to try and do for "HLC" during my friend's visit. Basically, I wanted to show my friend a good time in Hawaii minus the English classes (not to say that English classes aren't a good time). I was able to borrow a car for the weekend from a very generous friend, and thus was able to show Chika and her friend, Niyou, a tour of an island that I didn't really know myself. =P Not having a way to really get around ever since arriving here meant that I didn't really know what was in Hawaii other than the supermarket across the street from my house and the chapel where we practice in at Kapiolani Community College...neither of which make for a very exciting tour. Additionally, the only places I've been to outside of these places are the office I work at and various schools around the island- which also don't constitute an interesting tour.

So...after consulting my tourist guide to Hawaii, Google Maps, and the knowledge of my Hawaiian friends at Stanford, i was able to determine a suitable tour to the beautiful Hanauma Bay followed by lunch at Boots and Kimo's (strange name, I know), a great brunch place known for their Macadamia Nut, Banana Pancakes with Coconut Syrup. Mmmmmmm...

So at 9:30 am, I picked my friends up from their hotel and gave them each a lei to officially welcome them to the Aloha state. We then proceeded toward Hanauma Bay, a bay (duh) on the east side of the island that is a famous spot for snorkeling and seeing all manner of tropical fish. The bay was beautiful, with crystal clear water and a nice walk down from the cliffs above to the sandy (but also tourist-filled) beach below. We unfortunately didn't have a whole lot of time to spend there, so we didn't rent snorkel gear and instead watched fish from the shore (which was vaguely successful) and skipped rocks in the ocean. Overall a good time.


Beautiful Hanauma Bay




Yep...




Like I said, lots of tourists




Chika with her friend Niyou...who is wearing MY sunglasses. =P




Chika posing with the rock she is about to attempt to skip




In the motion of skipping a rock




Not sure why I look so angry in this picture




Ah...




and "ah..." again



Next leg of the trip, a nice drive up the Eastern shore of Oahu, passing more beaches, rocky cliffs, and...underwater caves! Yes folks, underwater caves. Of course...because the caves are underwater...you can't actually see them, but...the underwater caves on the rocky shore do have something exciting which I'll explain. The waves the pound the rocks on the side of the island gradually make underwater caves that keep eroding inside the rock from the force of water being pushed through them, until eventually the force makes a hole on the top of the rock. The result, is a geyser that juts out streams of water whenever a substantial wave hits the shore and forces water into the cave and out of the hole above. Its a neat site to see and was definitely attracting quite a few tourists at the spot we were at.


It's like Old Faithful...just not quite as faithful



The destination of our scenic drive was Kailua, a small town (all towns outside of Honolulu are small) that is home to the awesome breakfast place known as Boots and Kimo's. But, it was closed. Closed despite the sign outside the door saying, "Open till 2:30 pm." "We closed early for equipment maintenance," said the guy who was moving the waiting benches inside and cleaning up the tables when I asked him why they were closed. The worst part was that they were closing early for just THAT day. They were open till 2:30 the next day and even the following Saturday.

Although we didn't get to have the much-hyped macadamia nut, banana pancakes with coconut syrup (just writing that makes me hungry), I wasn't gonna let that ruin our empty-stomachs. So, we drove across Pali Highway through the jungle-filled mountains (also scenic) back into Honolulu and went to a great and famous Ramen shop called Gomaichi. This ramen store specializes in Tan Tan Mien, which is a soup base made with Japanese sesame seeds. My friends enjoyed the salty goodness, which we followed up with a trip to Cold Stone Creamery across the street. :)


Mmmm...Ramen



It was definitely great to see an old friend from Japan, and even nicer to know that the friends I made during the ALC program are really life-long friends that I'll continue to be in contact with and get together with when I'm eventually living in Japan. For all you mainland folks, you could be in these pictures on a beautiful beach somewhere making all of your friends jealous too. Make your reservations and apply to HLC today!


This could be you in this picture

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to apply. Is the progrma expensive though?