Thursday, March 8, 2007

HLC 2

So not long after my first visitor (in fact, the day my first visitor left), I had my second visitor to Hawaii...also from Japan, and also from the ALC program.

So Chika left on Monday last week, and my friend Yujiro arrived on...well...Monday. So, HLC 2 began right where HLC 1 ended, but this time with more participants because Yujiro was here with his college ceramics club. Unfortunately, I didn't have as much time to spend with my HLC participants because I had to go to work during the week and Yujiro left on Friday morning (5 am in the morning). But we did get together twice, once on Monday evening and again on Thursday, which I actually have off every week. I was able to go meet him down in Waikiki that afternoon and spend some time at the beach and along paradise.


me and Yujiro in Waikiki


Waikiki is only a 30 minute walk from my house, and an even shorter drive (about 10 minutes). It's really a whole different world down there. For one, there are a lot of Japanese...A LOT of Japanese in Waikiki. So much so that there are signs everywhere in Japanese, Japanese ads, and every person that works in every store speaks Japanese. It almost feels like being in Japan...except the pace of life is a lot slower and it's not quite as crowded (by Japanese standards). Waikiki is filled with vacationers, honeymooners, and fun-seekers, so the area has nothing but things aimed toward tourism and the people staying at the huge number of hotels along Waikiki beach. So, in way, it feels kinda like Las Vegas...but a tame (and much cleaner) Las Vegas. There are plenty of bars and clubs in the area, and all of the stores from DFS to Gucci, to Prada, and Armani are present in full force to get the tourists (mainly the Japanese ones) to spend their money. Something is going on basically every night because everyone there is on vacation, and as you'd expect in a tourist-filled area, prices are high and often unreasonable compared to other places on the island. Waikiki isn't really a place for "locals" to go, as you can probably imagine- just like the Strip in Las Vegas isn't exactly where Las Vegasians(?) go all the time either (I actually found that out from a friend who grew up in Vegas).


Yujiro's friend trying to look like a tourist...I think he succeeded quite well


But...given my in-between status of a local (because I live here) and a non-local (because I grew up on the mainland), I hung out in Waikiki with Yujiro. While there are better beaches and more beautiful places in Hawaii, to say that Waikiki isn't beautiful and isn't itself paradise is a far cry from the truth. Being that Waikiki is on the "low" end of the beach tier in Hawaii really just goes to show you how high the bar is set over here and how many awesome beaches they have. So, on my Thursday visit to Waikiki, I met Yujiro on the Japanese-tourist-filled Waikiki Beach and then went to Dukes, a bar and grill along Waikiki Beach, for lunch.


Relaxing at Duke's



I think Yujiro's enjoying paradise


It was great to relax in the semi-outdoor restaurant (it's covered but 3 sides of the restaurant don't have any walls) and sip on a nice (but pretty pricey) tropical drink. I really could feel a much slower pace of life as I sat there, and although I live here, it felt like I was on vacation. And while I sat there talking story with Yujiro, drinking my tropical goodness, and nibbling at a tuna melt sandwich, it suddenly hit me....I live in Hawaii. This is Hawaii. I live next to a vacation. And I began to realize how awesome that is- a 30 minute walk to a vacation. ...I'm not sure how much better it gets than that.


You could be drinking one of these too



Yujiro looking pretty pimp with my sunglasses and tropical drink in hand


But of course (and not to make you jealous) it does get better than Waikiki, and Hawaii has some pretty amazing things to see here. In fact, amazing things to see are quite the norm here, which in itself is pretty incredible. But to find out what those amazing things are, I'll have to leave you hanging until my next post. For now, I'll give you a hint...the North Shore.




P.S. Thank you to all of my HLC participants! It was awesome hanging out with you! I hope I get to see you again (either in Hawaii or in your own home country). For all you other prospective HLC participants, it's not too late to join. We have a rolling admission policy. =P

3 comments:

stella said...

Adam!!
Thanks for the nice DETAILED diary haha. Couldnt believe that i finished reading every single word(HLC1+2). For how long will u stay in Hawaii?? I wanna join HLC too!!! hahah but i think it takes lots of money..... Btw, i am going to japan on 3/29-4/7. Also i think i can meet Darwin for a couple of hours on 3/13. And then Julie and Lee are coming soon at the end of March. So how are u doing??? miss u a lot

stella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darwin said...

bah... HLC... I might come in May tho.. I'll keep you posted.